New Mexico ranks among the country's top ten biggest farming states. In 2014, the agricultural sector contributed $1.58 billion to the Land of Enchantment's economy, or two percent of overall state GDP (placing it 35th among all U.S. states for the size of its farm economy). Approximately 76 percent of New Mexico's annual agricultural production is from livestock products (including poultry, beef and dairy cattle, sheep or hogs and pigs). The other 24 percent comes from crops. Home to the Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail, we're happy to note that New Mexico accounts for almost 20 percent of the nation's chile-pepper harvest. Other high-yield crops grown in the Enchantment State include pecans, onions and corn. According to 2012 U.S. Census data, there were 24,721 farms recorded in the state, covering a total of 43.2 million acres (or the equivalent of 56 percent of the overall state land area).
Read More +