Idaho ranks 24th for the size of its agricultural sector. In 2014, the agricultural sector contributed $4.23 billion to the Gem State's economy, or seven percent of overall state GDP (placing it 17th among all U.S. states for income generated through farming and agricultural activities). Some 56 percent of Idaho's annual agricultural production is from livestock products (classified as cattle, poultry, sheep and pigs). The other 44 percent comes from crops. Its popular nickname aside, the Potato State's top three agricultural exports are dairy products, cattle and -- yes -- potatoes. Idaho also accounts for half of all commercially-farmed trout in the United States. Based on data from the 2012 U.S. Census, there were 24,816 farms recorded in the state, covering a total of 11.8 million acres (or the equivalent of 22 percent of the entire state land area).