Montana ranks second when it comes to the size of its agricultural economy. In 2014, the agricultural sector contributed $2.27 billion to the Treasure State's economy, or five percent of overall state GDP (placing it 31st among all U.S. states for income generated through farming and agricultural activities). Approximately 47 percent of Montana's annual revenue from farming is from livestock products (including poultry, beef and dairy cattle, sheep or hogs and pigs). The other 53 percent comes from crops. Montana's main crops are wheat, hay and barley, a large proportion of which goes to supporting its extensive cattle-farming economy. Given its high-elevation climate, the state accounts for the majority of the dry peas, lentils and mustard seed farmed in the United States. According to 2012 U.S. Census data, there were 28,008 farms recorded in the state, covering a total of 59.8 million acres (or the equivalent of 63 percent of the total state land area).