Learn about options and find lenders in our Rural & Agriculture Financing Center
North Carolina Land Info
North Carolina is the country's 32nd largest agricultural state. In 2014, the agricultural sector contributed $5.82 billion to the Tar Heel State's economy, or one percent of overall state GDP (placing it 12th among all U.S. states for the size of its farm economy). Approximately 66 percent of North Carolina's annual revenue from farming is from livestock products (classified as cattle, poultry, sheep and pigs). The other 34 percent comes from crops. North Carolina's tobacco harvest still reigns supreme (capturing half of all tobacco grown in the United States), although broiler chickens and hogs rank ahead in terms of share of state agricultural receipts. North Carolina also supports half of the nation's sweet-potato crop. Based on data from the 2012 U.S. Census, there were 50,218 farms recorded in the state, covering a total of 8.4 million acres (or the equivalent of 24 percent of the total state land area).