Learn about options and find lenders in our Rural & Agriculture Financing Center
South Carolina Land Info
South Carolina ranks 38th for the size of its agricultural sector. In 2014, the agricultural sector contributed $1.64 billion to the state's economy, or one percent of overall state GDP (placing it 34th among all U.S. states for income generated through farming and agricultural activities). Some 57 percent of South Carolina's annual revenue from farming is from livestock products (classified as cattle, poultry, sheep and pigs). The other 43 percent comes from crops. Relative to the national total, South Carolina beats out the Peach State -- Georgia -- when it comes to its peach harvest (ten percent versus six). Other crop staples here include corn, cotton and soybeans. According to official Census Bureau stats, there were 25,266 farms recorded in the state, covering a total of 5 million acres (or the equivalent of 24 percent of the overall state land area).